Looking for Tennis and Racket Sports International News?
The RacketSTAR Tennis News Blog and Article Feed gives you up to the minute news and information about the Players and Sports Updates.
How to Hit a Slice Serve
A slice serve is a type of tennis serve where the ball curves away from the opponent. Here are the steps to hit a slice serve:
- Start by standing at the baseline, with your feet shoulder-width apart and your body facing the net.
- Hold the racket in your dominant hand, with a continental grip. This is where the base knuckle of your index finger is on the third bevel of the racket handle.
- Toss the ball with your non-dominant hand, slightly to the right of your body if you're right-handed or slightly to the left if you're left-handed.
- As the ball reaches its highest point, step forward with your front foot and turn your body to the right if you're right-handed or to the left if you're left-handed.
- Swing the racket from high to low, brushing the ball with a slightly closed racket face. This will create the spin that will cause the ball to curve away from your opponent.
- Follow through with your swing, keeping your eyes on the ball and your body balanced.
- Aim for the area of the service box where you want the ball to land.
Remember, hitting a good slice serve takes practice, so keep trying until you get it right. Also, try to vary the speed and placement of your slice serves to keep your opponent guessing.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.